dream center IN the tunas
Sea turtles find the perfect place to nest in this area, due to the tranquility and cleanliness of its beaches. One of the most important projects in the area is the monitoring of sea turtle nests found on the beaches of Las Tunas, Puerto Rico and Ayampe. The projects and the volunteering program are managed by the community of Manabí. They have dedicated more than 10 years under the concept “No Nature, No Life” to managing and creating community tourism projects, conservation and preservation of forests and their surroundings.
MINIMUM 2 WEEKS
basic/medium SPANISH NEEDED
+18 YEARS OLD
In the tunas, ecuador
The community has dedicated more than 10 years to managing and creating community tourism projects, conservation and preservation of forests and their surroundings. Sea turtles find the perfect place to nest in this area, due to the tranquility and cleanliness of its beaches.
The projects are managed by the community with some external programs support, such as governmental, non-governmental and volunteers.
What is included?
- Project donation
- Orientation meeting
- Local support volunteer coordinator
- Breakfast and welcome dinner
- Transport to the different projects
What is NOT included?
- Pre and post stay in Guayaquil
- Pre and post stay in Guayaquilo Medical insurance (mandatory to confirm the reservation)
- Transport to the project
What to consider…
- Arrival airport: GYE
- Projects starts and ends on Mondays
- Available all year round
- Longer stays are possible upon requesto Private room upon request
- Poor Wi-Fi
- Work can be physically demanding
- Maximum of 11 volunteers
- There are Health Centers and ATMs nearby
- We suggest a weekly budget of U$ 100 for meals and tours
- Cleaning Las Tunas beach and cleaning the Ayampe river
- Reforestation plan of more than 100 hectares in a reserve in Ayampe
- Permaculture and development of recycling systems
- Direct interaction with the community, education programs environment for people in the community and for volunteers
- Watching and monitoring the turtle´s nest (If lucky you could see the eggs hatching)
- Compost making
A TYPICAL day
AS A VOLUNTEER
Sunday evenings the Project Coordinator will make together with you the work schedule for the week and note this on a whiteboard. Monday the project coordinator will give you an orientation in situ, the activities are: Turtle nesting monitoring, beach cleaning, reforestation, community empowerment, making handcrafts of recycling and natural materials.
On Thursday evening, a cocktail is organized for the volunteers. During the weekend, you’ll enjoy some free time to discover the magical places around Las Tunas.
Sunday evening the Project Coordinator will plan with you the work for the new week & their expectation. A welcome dinner for the new volunteers will be organized; you are more than welcome to join it.