COPROT Conservation & Turtles
COPROT is a community-driven conservation project that aims to conserve sea turtle nesting beach habitat on the the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica. We protect 8km of beach where we register over 7000 nests per season.
MINIMUM 1 WEEK
no SPANISH NEEDED
+18 YEARS OLD
An English speaking volunteer coordinator is living at the camp and will make each week a clear agenda with work and fun activities.
The food is included during you stay and is mostly vegetarian.
Volunteers needed across the board! No experience necessary, but plenty of enthusiasm to get involved and learn as well as the ability to work hard without constant supervision. This is a completely grass roots project that is in its early stages of development, so we need positive people that are highly driven to initiate change in developing communities! This is a great opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people and make a real difference to the turtles and local community members. Of course, we are always welcome to new ideas and enjoy learning new skills from our volunteers, so do not be shy to share and inspire during your stay! In addition, there is time and space for slow life & fun, together with other volunteers.
Being in COPROT is a unique and meaningful opportunity to experience life in the most legendary and also most remote destinations in all of Central America.
What is included?
- Pre-departure online (mindfullness) meeting
- Arrival on Sundays at Puerto Jimenez
- 1 overnight in Puerto Jimenez in a hostel
- Monday morning 6am with colectivo/bus to Camp Mariposa Azul
- Meet & greet with English volunteer coordinator at the camp
- 7 nights at the volunteer camp Mariposa Azul
- Meals (mostly vegetarian)
- Follow-up online (mindfullness) meeetings
- Free activities; night walks, jungle walks, game & movie night, pizza night etc.
- Poor WiFi
- Day 9 (Monday) bus ticket back to Puerto Jimenez
- Note: We hope that you booked more weeks.
What is NOT included?
- Transport back to SJO (you can book that through us)
- Other expenses
What to consider…
- Arrival airport: SJO
- Project is closed during May and June
- Pre-stay in San Jose upon request
- Projects start on Mondays and end on Mondays, volunteers need to be in Puerto Jimenez the night before (included in the project)
- Minimum is one week, but more convenient to stay for longer
- Poor WiFi
- Work can be physically demanding
- Maximum of 16 volunteers
- One of our goals is to become a zero-waste facility, consider this when planning your trip, and think about what you’re bringing to the trip
- After confirmation you will receive detailed volunteer project information, a kit list, a disclaimer form and a Code of Conduct form
As a volunteer, you will participate in daily turtle patrols, morning patrols (3-5 hrs) or night patrols (4-7 hrs). On the patrols you will protect new nests, record data on the nesting females, see flipper tagging, excavate hatched nests, assist in the tourism element and release hatchlings! During the day, we will also have beach clean-ups, plastic classification, English lessons for local people, presentations at our local schools, and tree planting and other maintenance projects around our camp! We normally work very hard on the project and we do expect all visitors to get involved to the best of their ability to help us achieve our goals, but there’s still always plenty of time to relax and explore.
A TYPICAL DAY
AS A VOLUNTEER
WHAT TO DO IN
YOUR FREE TIME
- Corcovado National Park
- Surfing in Matapalo
- Horse-riding – Chocolate tour
- Whale and dolphin tour
- Waterfall hike
- Guided gold-mining tour
- Plus a lot of free activities: night walks, jungle walks, beach cleans, game and movie night, pizza nights, etc.
- Beach nearby the camp is NOT a alowed for swimming however you can enjoy activities such as beach playing games, looking for animals or taking in the awesome views.
The trees above the buildings are regularly used as monkey crossings or perches for birds, and the river behind the property is full of small mammals and amphibians. There are lots of areas to explore in search of wildlife!!
We share our space with some awesome domestic animals.