ORGANIC FARMINGIn The Galapagos Islands
The objective is to live in harmony with nature (permaculture) and practice 100% organic and sustainable agriculture. At the same time experiences are shared with the local farmers on the island.
|San Cristóbal Island, Ecuador|
san Cristobal, Galapagos
MINIMUM 2 WEEKS
wildlife & nature conservation
no SPANISH NEEDED
+18 YEARS OLD
In the Galapagos Islands
Their objective is to live in harmony with nature (permaculture) and practice 100% organic and sustainable agriculture. At the same time be able to provide the same to the local community, sharing experiences with other farmers on the island.
It is always special to encounter people with a mad belief that we can live our lives differently, in harmony with each other and our environment. In doing so, this lovely family has created this space for the local community and their visitors to connect with themselves, each other and the surrounding nature.
What is included?
- Project donation
- Orientation meeting
- Local support volunteer coordinator
- Transfer from San Cristobal Airport to the accommodation in Puerto Baquerizo
- 6 nights accommodation in dorms in a hostel.
- 8 nights accommodation in shared room at the project with home-made vegan meals included
- Transportation from Puerto Baquerizo to the project (45-60 minutes away) on Mondays and back on Fridays
- 1 surprise excursion during the weekend
- Transport to the different projects
What is NOT included?
- Pre and post stay
- Transfer back to the airport
- Transportation to any of the other islands
- Galapagos Entry fee: U$ 100 (to be paid upon arrival at the airport)
- TCT card (Transit Control Card) U$ 20 (to be paid at the airport of Quito or Guayaquil)
- Medical insurance (mandatory to confirm the reservation).
What to consider…
- Arrival airport: SCY (San Cristobal Island)
- Project starts and ends on Mondays, you need to be on the Galapagos islands latest on Saturday
- Available all year round
- Longer stays are possible upon request
- Private room upon request
- No Wi-Fi or TV signal
- Work can be physically demanding
- Maximum of 3 volunteers
- There are ATMs and Health Centers in town (45-60 minutes away)
• Prepare the land, planting & maintaining crops
• Prepare fertilizers and making compost
• Build with local materials
• Work together with local children
• Maintain trails
• Learn about the different types of plants and animals
• Take care of coffee and cocoa plantations
• Cook meals with products from the garden
• Share experiences and learnings with the community
A TYPICAL SCHEDULE
AS A VOLUNTEER
You will arrive in San Cristobal airport on Saturday. We will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hostel in Puerto Baquerizo where you will stay during the weekend. You will meet our local coordinator who will explain you the details of your itinerary, and all what you need to know for your stay in this special place of the world.
On Sunday you have a free day to enjoy and explore this special Galapagos Island.
On Monday, early in the morning a transfer will pick you up to take you to the finca (45-60 minutes away) you’ll spend the rest of the week.
The work starts everyday at 08.30 am, having a break for a snack around 11 am. A vegan lunch is served at 2.30 pm. There’s still a lot to do at the finca, so you are welcome to work in the afternoon. Dinner is served at around 6 pm. You will be asked to participate in the preparation of the meals. From Monday to Thursday, you will lodge at the finca.
During the week end you can participate in a surprise excursion that we will organize for you.
The second week is the same as the first one. On Monday we will take you back to the finca. On Friday is time to say goodbye, the group travels back to town, where you will stay one more night.
WHAT TO DO IN
YOUR FREE TIME
You can also hike or bike around the Cerro Tijeretas. Take a diving course or hang with the locals on the ‘Malecon’
The accommodation is at the family’s house, which is 2 floors rustic construction. The house is built with wood and recycled materials. On the ground floor there’s a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. On the top floor there are two rooms, one for the family and the other one for the volunteers. The room has 3 single beds and is mixed gender. The family is vegan.
about The Galapagos
It is not by chance that they’re also called The Enchanted Islands. A visit to the Galápagos Islands is a real once-in-a-lifetime experience and one of the highlights of any visit to South America.
San Cristóbal Island has the second largest population of Galapagos, and you will stay at the island’s main city, Puerto Baquerizo Moreno. The pier is small and situated on the cozy main boulevard.