Turtle protection & conservationIn Las Tunas
This volunteer opportunity is for anyone with a love for animals, nature and the beach. The project offers a great combination between conservation & community.
Sea turtles find the perfect place to nest in this area, due to the tranquility and cleanliness of its beaches. One of the most important projects in the area is the monitoring of sea turtle nests found on the beaches of Las Tunas, Puerto Rico and Ayampe. The projects and the volunteering program are managed by the community of Manabí. They have dedicated more than 10 years under the concept “No Nature, No Life” to managing and creating community tourism projects, conservation and preservation of forests and their surroundings.
|Puerto Lopez ecuador|
MINIMUM 2 WEEKS
no SPANISH NEEDED
+18 YEARS OLD
Turtle rescue and conservation
In Las Tunas, ecuador
Volunteering for this project is possible between the months of June through October. You do not need previous experience, or any university degree to participate in volunteering. You only need love for the sea, whales and nature; enthusiasm to meet new places and people; daily strength and energy; desire to learn and work long hours at sea and in the office.
What is included?
- Project donation
- Orientation meeting
- Local support volunteer coordinator
- 13 nights accommodation in dorms in a beachfront hostel.
- Breakfast and welcome dinner
- Transport to the different projects
What is NOT included?
- Pre and post stay in Guayaquil
- Medical insurance (mandatory to confirm the reservation).
- Transport to the project
What to consider…
- Projects starts and ends on Mondays.
- Available all year round
- Longer stays are possible upon request
- Private room upon request
- Poor wiFi
- Work can be physically demanding
- Maximum of 25 volunteers
• Cleaning Las Tunas beach and cleaning the Ayampe river
• Reforestation plan of more than 100 hectares in a reserve in Ayampe
• Permaculture and development of recycling systems
• Direct interaction with the community, education programs environment for people in the community and for volunteers
• Watching and monitoring the turtle´s nest (you could see the eggs hatching)
• Compost making
A TYPICAL SCHEDULE
AS A VOLUNTEER
Sunday evenings the Project Coordinator will make together with you the work schedule for the week and note this on a whiteboard. Monday the project coordinator will give you an orientation in situ, the activities are: Turtle nesting monitoring, beach cleaning, reforestation, community empowerment, making handcrafts of recycling and natural materials.
On Thursday evening, a cocktail is organized for the volunteers. During the weekend, you’ll enjoy some free time to discover the magical places around Las Tunas.
Sunday evening the Project Coordinator will plan with you the work for the new week & their expectation. A welcome dinner for the new volunteers will be organized, you are more than welcome to join it (not included).